Daily Search Forum Recap: November 8, 2019
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search Buzz Video Recap: Bing Spam Penalties, Google Local Ranking Update, Speed Reports & More
This week in search I posted the big monthly Google Webmaster report, so catch up there quickly. Bing announced a boat load of new search spam penalties that is rolling out. Google may have done a local search algorithm update this week. Google….
- Google: SEOs Use “No” As A Way To Confirm Their Theories
Earlier this week, I wrote how yet another Googler once again said Google does not use user behavior signals for rankings. But what happens is people don’t believe Google and they come up with theories on how Google does use user behavior as a ranking signal no matter how many times Google says no.
- Google: It Is A Bad Sign If Your Robots.txt Or Sitemap File Is Ranking For Normal Queries
We had a slew of tweets triggered by Gary Illyes of Google and then followed up by John Mueller of Google around robots.txt and XML sitemap files ranking in Google. In short, if they rank for normal queries, John Mueller said “that’s usually a sign that your site is really bad off and should be improved instead.”
- Google: Do Not Use Robots.txt To Block Indexing Of URLs With Parameters
Google’s John Mueller said you should absolutely not “use robots.txt to block indexing of URLs with parameters.” He said if you do that then Google “cannot canonicalize the URLs, and you lose all of the value from links to those pages.” Instead use rel-canonicals and link consistently throughout your site.
- Google Ads Editor v1.2 Adds New Campaign Types & Cross-Account Features
Google released Google Ads Editor version 1.2 yesterday. This release has a lot of new features including support for new campaign types and updates to multi-account management. Version 1.1 was released in July, so it has been a while since Google came out with a new version of Google Ads Editor.
- Jeopardy: SEO Is Short For
SEO was featured on Jeopardy the other day. The statement was “wanna boost traffic to your website? Try SEO, short for this.” Marshall Simmonds shared this on Twitter.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- ^ Search Engine Roundtable (www.seroundtable.com)
- ^ Search Buzz Video Recap: Bing Spam Penalties, Google Local Ranking Update, Speed Reports & More (www.seroundtable.com)
- ^ Google: SEOs Use “No” As A Way To Confirm Their Theories (www.seroundtable.com)
- ^ Google: It Is A Bad Sign If Your Robots.txt Or Sitemap File Is Ranking For Normal Queries (www.seroundtable.com)
- ^ Google: Do Not Use Robots.txt To Block Indexing Of URLs With Parameters (www.seroundtable.com)
- ^ Google Ads Editor v1.2 Adds New Campaign Types & Cross-Account Features (www.seroundtable.com)
- ^ Jeopardy: SEO Is Short For (www.seroundtable.com)
Powered by WPeMatico